When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Thursday, April 28, 2011

What? Did someone say something?

Sorry! I must have nodded off again.
Was I drooling?
Oh my gosh, recovering from surgery is exhausting!
Erin used to make it look so easy.



Since returning home last Friday, my days have consisted of sleeping, showering,
napping, eating, napping again, watching TV which causes more napping
and walking outside a few times when it actually hasn't been RAINING!
I don't remember moving to Seattle.
Note - when I walk outside I stay within a two-three block radius of home.
If anyone sees me sprawled on the sidewalk somewhere,
please just drag me home and deposit me on the front steps!
I haven't been able to train Keenan to do so yet.
He'll appreciate your help.



Dave will find me when he gets home from work and put me back on the couch.
Other than the exhaustion, I'm fine.

More importantly, Jim is doing well.
He was released from the hospital on Monday and is very happy to be at home.
For now, his new normal involves blood draws 3+ times a week
to make sure his new plumbing is working properly.
The medical team is keeping a close watch on his creatinine level, fluid output, etc
and ongoing adjustments of the anti-rejection medications are made accordingly.

In effect, both of our systems are recalibrating ~
mine, to functioning on just my right kidney
and his, to running on my gently-used left one.
I still think the whole process is pretty darn miraculous.

PS ~ Thank you to all who have signed up for the Blood Drive so far. For planning purposes, please PLEASE make your appointment as soon as possible. (Click Here for Instructions.) We look forward to seeing you all there.
I'll try to stay awake the whole day!

5 comments:

  1. YOU made the whole process of donating life seem so easy, so much braver than I. Already getting my flop sweat on for the blood drive! It won't hurt, will it? Cookies, right?
    But the whole Bentley clan will be there, you said cookies, right?? Would not miss it! Think~cookies....

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course there will be cookies! I've been baking and freezing some batches of chocolate chip cookies between naps... ok, not really :)
    There will be birthday cake too!
    SO happy to see the four of you signed up.
    You did fine last year. Nothing to it!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, shaking the fogginess of anesthesia is tougher than "they" let on.

    but you are doing just the right things.

    and did you and keenan love the fairy tale wedding? (henry and i did).

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless you as you both rest and recuperate! Taking naps is good for you, as I'm sure you can tell (your body is telling you)! HUGS and blessings with love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just checking...cookies AND cake?? Why didn't you say so, that's a horse of a different color! Not scared at all! (maybe just a little)
    I'll be brave for cake, cookies, Erin and YOU!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete