When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Friday, April 22, 2011

home


In Praise of My Bed
At last I can be with you!
The grinding hours
since I left your side!
The labor of being fully human,
working my opposable thumb,
talking, and walking upright.
Now I have unclasped
unzipped, stepped out of.
Husked, soft, a be-er only,
I do nothing, but point
my bare feet into your
clean smoothness
feel your quiet strength
the whole length of my body.
I close my eyes, hear myself
moan, so grateful to be held this way.

© Meredith Holmes. All rights reserved.

I hope the Easter Bunny is generous to one and all.

8 comments:

  1. Welcome Home Mary! Happy Easter.
    xo teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. We Reeds have a saying, after being away from home.

    "My very own bed..."

    So glad you are there, with your beloved Keenan. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorothy had it right, "There's no place like home!" Snuggle in and I wish you the LARGE Fannie May bunny!
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary:

    I always found dog slobber to be the best medicine for whatever ails you. Bill and I are so glad all went well and you are home and we wish you a quick recovery. Happy Easter to you and Dave and the kids!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home, indeed. That poem could have been written for Gregg - he often makes that happy sound when he gets into bed! Blessings of healing and Easter to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dog slobber is known to be much more effective than neosporin when used as a topical antibiotic. It's healing properties increase exponentially when used in combination with Fannie May chocolate ingested every 1-2 hours.
    Yep... my very own bed - ahhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhhhh...amazing how much better one sleeps in one's own bed! best wishes for a speedy recovery...hope that adequate amounts of dog slobber and chocolate will be supplied :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Easter to you -- and that poem has pushed me off to bed!

    ReplyDelete