When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Uncovering One's Eyes

These days I'm walking in a neck-deep solution of vivid memories and raw emotion. On the one hand, I continue to be deeply grateful for all the things listed in my previous blog post, and then some. I truly am. I write in my journal every night, giving thanks for each and every blessing, but the cold hard fact that Erin is gone still takes me out at the knees. The blessings are often the outstretched hand that leads the way on the constant route toward survival of this devastation, but at other times it feels as though I'm reaching into air.  Groping.  Grief often has to be an entity in and of itself.  Erin died. I'm heartbroken. Nothing can erase that.

And now Christmas is coming. Christmas. Erin died. Be joyful. Shop. Erin died. Spend money. Buy gifts. Plan meals. Erin died. Bring out the boxes of decorations, carefully chosen throughout the years. But Erin died!!!
Christmas... Four children.
Four stockings my mother stitched 
in time for each baby's first Christmas.

In 2006 we experienced the shock and horror of the cancer diagnosis on December 15. Those words that finally gave us the answer we sought for so many weeks to the question, "Who took away our daughter and replaced her with this fretful teenager who has all these seemingly unrelated and bizarre symptoms? For the love of God, all she wants to eat are clementines!" Cancer was beginning to steal her away, that's who it was.

Christmas? Was there a Christmas in 2006?
I know Erin was admitted to the hospital
on December 27 for her first chemo treatment.
We have no photos from that year to help me recall Christmas.
Not one.


Now, I'm working hard to stay grounded through this same stretch of time, amidst memories of the final weeks of Erin's life just a year ago; the shock of the events of that Friday (on a day that I painfully learned to never ever again say the words ~ things couldn't possibly get worse) on the heels of a perfect Thanksgiving (perfect relative to cancer-life, of course).  A time of bringing her home after an awful week spent in the hospital, to live for two more weeks and then die with all of us surrounding her.  A time of honoring her wishes and ensuring her comfort, of readying ourselves to let go. We had no choice but to let go. I did let go at the time, but it seems harder to stop clutching her now than it did then, when exhaustion and a sense of relief for Erin's much-deserved peace offered numbness and acceptance on my part. Emptiness and sadness are standing prominent now, a gaping hole of intense longing.  My stomach hurts.


I've been advised that the idea, the goal, is to remember the events and not relive them. Well I can't do that just one short year away from this experience that shattered me to bits.  Goal ~ unattainable at the present time.  I walk through each day, facing straight into the thick of it all, and yes, I'm reliving all the nightmarish details.  I saw so many things that no one else did.

You see, last year as sick as Erin was and in spite of the havoc the cancer wreaked upon her poor little body, she was HERE smiling at me, giving me a focal point, telling me she loved me as I tucked her in each night, greeting visitors graciously, asking me to put special Christmas decorations in certain places so she could easily see them...


I was tuned to her every move, as my cousin just wrote, "to the flutter of her eyelashes". Precisely.

Last Saturday, we went out and bought two Christmas trees - one for our home and one for Erin's grave. Her tree is perfect. It's a little Frasier fir, and we decorated it with wooden snowflakes and few happy snowmen.
Who does this? Parents whose children have died, that's who.
Families who are fumbling to make the pain bearable,
the injustice somewhat tolerable,
the emptiness a little less vacuous.


And sweet friends visit and leave flowers
as they also try to sort through their own personal loss,
and I can't even begin to imagine how this feels for them.
It's often easier to divert around rather than go directly through pain; to submerge oneself in work or play or sleep.  I've done that too, and that's part of living and moving forward, but I think there's a lot to be said for the willingness to be vulnerable, to be open to what is before one's eyes.  I know I need to enter into it rather than escape or detour. It's all there, whether I pause to look or not.  Whether I utter a word about it or clamp my mouth shut, the reality of it surfaces. I gave birth to four children. Four. Stoicism is great up to a point, but the shell eventually cracks.  I'm human.

We're reminded at our Compassionate Friends meetings that grief is work, hard work.  Suffering is individual, unique.  There isn't a formula and it can't be done quickly.  But you know what?  Erin is worth every single tear I shed.
There is no question of getting beyond it. The little boat enters the dark fearful gulf and our only cry is to escape - "put me on land again."

But it's useless. Nobody listens. The shadowy figure rows on.
One ought to sit still and uncover one's eyes.

- Katherine Mansfield
My eyes are wide open, and I see it all before me.


Do you see it all too?

9 comments:

  1. more than ever, potts. more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    Beautifully written. All I can say is "I know. I understand. I am so sorry." There are no words for how hard this is, there are no real words of consolation. There is nothing that can ever correct this horrible thing that has happened to our beautiful girls, to our families. But, I agree, all of the support, kindness, friendship and love helps tremendously, and that is something to be thankful for.

    I have often thought back to the night of Caroline's diagnosis, I remember thinking "this is the worst night of my life." As we progressed through the pediatric cancer world, I realized with a shock that there would be many more "worst days" to come. There's not ever just one.

    You are in my thoughts and prayers during these very difficult and sad days. Thank you for writing on Caroline's site.

    Carol
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/carolineh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the tree ended up, you and Dad did a great job! I'm excited to go see it in person. I also love what you added to the snowflake lights in the window. I have mine on every night until I go to bed.

    This year is going to be very hard and I have decided that I am going to celebrate it how Erin would want us too. Decorating our tree, Palmer Place on the 23rd with Chicken tenders and a Pepsi, watching Christmas Vacation, opening gifts, making chocolate ship cookies, sitting by the fireplace, playing Christmas music, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You leave me speechless, yet I feel the need to comment...xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. this entry really tugged at the strings of my heart, your words are so captivating and powerful. I enjoy reading every single entry. No words can soothe pain of your loss. I cannot even begin to imagine the feeling, I just know Erin was and ALWAYS will be amazing. I should visit her grave, I am not exactly sure where it is though.

    Thank you for continuing to be an inspiration-
    Stephanie B (loveknot)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see, and I hear you.
    The tree is beautiful. It is what we, who have been through the unthinkable, do, to try to create & recall beauty where there are now ashes. It is what we do to honor Erin's, Katie's - every child's - grace, gifts, spirit, life, memory, legacy, beauty - while others are buying gifts for their children to open. It is the path, and you are walking it with such depth and integrity. I send love to you, knowing these are hard days. God bless you and your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary,

    You have taught me two very valuable lessons, be happy for what life gives you today and do not read your blog at work.

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tree is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete