When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

River

Last Saturday, Dave, Keenan and I walked in the woods during the first substantial snowfall of the season. I love it there ~ the stillness, the calm. The tendency for the majority of the population to hibernate indoors when the temperature dives affords the atmosphere of desired peace to the few hearty souls willing to bundle up and venture out, especially to the trails way in the back.

This is the first bridge that spans the creek, the gateway to the outer reaches that I wrote about way back in March in THE ROAD NOT TAKEN. I think about that post often as we start to hike. Habit directs Keenan now, and when we reach that initial fork he turns left without hesitation and bolts up the hill, away from the hub to the less populated area.


I still walk where I was shoved without consent, like it or not, my life's path. I continue to work hard every day to engage in the blessings and not allow sadness to take the upper hand.  Singing songs of joy and peace...  The climb up that hill has become steeper in recent weeks due to the weight of the season's events. December is too full. Erin's initial diagnosis date and that of her passing fall too close to Christmas and make for a treacherous ascent. I'm afraid it will be the same each year.   It's coming on Christmas...

Saturday's snow was extraordinary and I'm so glad we took the time to appreciate the magic. When it first falls on the trees, before the wind blows it to the ground or the sun's rays cause it to melt, the view is breathtaking.


Erin's weather.


Snow and Christmas and trees.

My friend Karen and her husband own a slice of heaven in Vermont ~ their "bit of earth", referring to Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden. She wrote a post on her blog the other day HERE about a very special delivery. I told her I could smell those trees all the way here in LaGrange. They're cutting down trees...

And now I can't stop thinking about Joni Mitchell's River. Although some of the lyrics refer to a lover, the majority of them strike a chord with me.  The words fit nicely with my melancholy mood, and I've been playing the song over and over while looking through albums with photos of Christmas past, some of which I've posted in my sidebar.  They're putting up reindeer...



Keenan and I headed out to the woods yesterday afternoon. We braved the 6 degree wind chill, actually Keenan loves the cold, and we were rewarded with a spectacular view. Again, no one was around and so golden boy acted like he owned the place. The frigid air is sobering as well. There's no crying out there in those temperatures!


Oh I wish I had a river so long


and I would teach my feet to fly

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
It's coming on Christmas
They're cutting down trees


They're putting up reindeer
And singing songs of joy and peace


Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on...
words by Joni Mitchell

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful blog, Mary. Thank God for Keenan! Love the Joni Mitchell song. The kids are so cute in Christmas past photos. How did 1 year pass? Did not the world stand still in Dec. 2009? Love and prayers to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,

    This is a beautiful post with such beautiful pictures. I too walk every morning, and these last few mornings have had windchills in the teens - cold! Your snow is so pretty!

    I'm thinking of you during these sad and difficult days. I look at your kids' pictures on the sidebar, and have the same feeling as when I look at my family's group shots. So cute, so happy, so innocent. So intact. So bittersweet.

    With so much understanding, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you...so much in this one month. I'm grateful for that angel of a dog, and the woods, the weather, and your lovely family (what a treasure trove of photos on your sidebar)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so loved taking that walk with you and Keenan last February. I think of you so many times, every day, as the anniversary of Erin's departure from this world looms large. May it be of some small comfort to you that many of us hold you, Dave, Keenan, Matt, Sarah and Chris close to our hearts as the days drop away. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The snow....the pictures, breathtaking! Much love..xoxo

    ReplyDelete