When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Today's Post Includes Part One and Part Two

PART ONE ~ THE REBUTTAL

While attempting to wash off the "mud" from yesterday's necessary BIG WALLOW, I am again working very hard to count the blessings in my life. Thank you to all who commented on my post, and also to the many who preferred to send personal emails. Hearing support from the outside world means so very much - always, and especially on the more difficult days. And to "Mary from Ohio" ~ please ring my doorbell some day. I'll take that enveloping hug from you anytime. Your "rambling" was beautiful. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for taking the time to write all those words. And when Erin does challenge me with that sprinkler, I feel confident that I will want to run through!

The second "comment" from a not-so "gentle reader" however, called for a refresher course in my lamaze training of long ago, as my breathing wanted to increase to hyperventilation pitch. Yesterday's blog comment of "OUCH" on my part was all I could muster at the time. I'll try to respond now in an eloquent manner to "Anonymous". I'm so sorry you neglected to mention your name when you signed off. Maybe next time you'll do so, and we can have a more personal conversation.

Perhaps the intention of your comment was a version of Tough Love, meant to help me snap out of my mood, since it was "sent with respect and admiration"? I must say, I was terribly confused by the contradictory way in which you wrote, and I can only assume from your words that you have not experienced cancer on an intimate level. Lucky you! My daughter died. In case you missed that, I will repeat - MY DAUGHTER DIED! and there are no words that can adequately detail what it was like to hold Erin's hand and watch that happen - to actually tell her it was OK to do so, and with God as my witness, in response to her wish for us to "Have Fun" vow to do so to the best of my ability each day, and now live with full intention of honoring that vow. And that act alone came at the end of so many things I witnessed over the three years of her illness that are unmentionable to anyone other than immediate family. Let's just say, a part of me died with her, and in very simple terms, I will never be the same again.

Through my blog, I share a portion of my experiences with the intention of working through some of my grief and also to give some insight to others about this insane world into which we were thrown. No, it is certainly NOT the life of my choice as you state, but I think I've done a pretty good job so far making the best of "the life I've been given". Remember, it hasn't even been five months since Erin passed away.

Due to those experiences, there are now periods in this aftermath, during which I am overcome with a pain that is indescribable. There are days when I cry - nearly the whole day. There are nights when I don't sleep much - last night was right up there! But I typically don't share that. And I don't stay "there". If you knew me well, and I don't know whether you do since you neglected to leave your name, you would know that since Erin died there has not been a day that I have stayed in bed all day. I have showered and dressed and functioned every single day since December 18th. I don't take pills and I don't drink more that the occasional glass of wine. I walk my dog a lot and I pray a lot and I talk to Erin a lot.

Have you REALLY read my blog? If you have, you should know that I try very hard to be happy and upbeat. Yes, I believe in moving forward and I believe in honoring Erin's memory by being positive. I do count my blessings and share so many of them through what I write. I always try to look at what I have as opposed to what I've lost. Last night after receiving your comment I looked over my posts, and yesterday's was the first one which was a brutally honest downer without a redirection to a positive outlook! I had a rare stream of consciousness flow to my fingers. Sorry, but it just came out! Believe it or not, this is part of what really happens when someone's child dies! To put it in elementary terms, it is very very sad and very very hard. I gave a brief up close and personal glimpse of the grieving process! I resent the condescending tone of "My dear" prior to your advice to count my blessings and be more like Erin in finding things for which to be thankful. Where the hell do you think Erin got some of her moxie?

OK, now I'm losing the eloquent manner in which I intended to respond, so I will not address this any longer. My hackles are up again and it's only 5:30 AM. I will close in saying that at times my writing may make one uncomfortable due to its dip into the bowels of the cancer venue. If the words make anyone uncomfortable, I apologize and advise you not to read my blog. If you choose to stay with me, keep your seatbelts fastened because sometimes the ride will be bumpy.

Thank you for allowing me to vent, and I invite any of you to comment.


PART TWO ~ SMALL, BUT MIGHTY

Yesterday I did a lot of reading, forced myself to exercise, then ate things that were not good for me including way too much pizza for dinner, took a long hot bath (the ONE good thing about it being cold!) listened to some music, wrote down many thoughts and cried ~ buckets. Once again, Keenan earned his keep.

And I stopped and smelled the flowers.

Have you ever taken the time to really look closely at and smell lily of the valley? If not, you should!



I have a little glass vase of intricately perfect, naturally healing aromatherapy here on my computer table, right by Erin's bear in the background who stoically sits in support, eying me closely as I compose my blogs. He is the silent type, but his mere presence speaks volumes.

This bouquet, aptly termed "small, but mighty" by the gracious friend who bestowed the handful upon me at the door on Monday, was one of the catalysts pushing me toward the turn from feeling DESERVEDLY pathetic to ~ I need to keep going, not because I should, but because I REALLY WANT TO.

This friend "gets it"! She has many good qualities, among them ~ a sense of humor, a love of chocolate and a wisdom borne of experience from having loved ones taken from her by cancer. We take weekly walks together, and our conversations run to many topics, but the one thing I truly love about spending time with her is that she is not afraid of the presence of the "elephant in the room". That presence can often be an UNDERSTANDABLY daunting one to some who are not as well-versed in cancer's habits and effects. Well, my beautiful little "elephant" will be with me forever.

When we walk and talk, the conversation can comfortably flow from ~ would you look at that person's house! to ~ I can't believe some idiot people won't pick their dog's poop up off the sidewalk! to ~ Erin was so self-conscious about her short hair when I thought it was gorgeous, but she knew it would fall out again so she continued to wear her wig and it made me so sad, to ~ what book are you reading now? We can complain, laugh, cry, marvel at something ludicrous and tear up again without missing a beat due to either of us squirming with discomfort.
And, ironically in some situations, I think I'm often the one who squirms more while trying to make others feel more at ease with me. It's all very complicated!

So, when my friend presented me with this little fistful of "small, but mighty" flowers, she didn't know the extent to which it would help. Oh, it did!

And it gave me a focal point for my unexpected lamaze practice!
By the way, I did inform her that my mom's wedding bouquet was all lily of the valley.


Coincidence? Small, but mighty indeed!

13 comments:

  1. Coincidence? Oh we know better, don't we? Every time I see lily of the valley, I think of your Mom, and you, and now, Erin.

    And here's a quote I've often read when I need to find some compassion in a situation when I want to explode.

    "Perhaps everything terrible is, in its deepest being, something that needs our love". -Rainner Marie Rilke

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing about your daughter is beautiful, poignant, raw, and honest. I appreciate the fact that you don't hold anything back and that you don't sugarcoat things for the reading audience (though I am sure there are many things that you don't share with us, and that is certainly your perogative since it is YOUR blog, after all). And I also believe that Erin's wish for you to "have fun" was just that--a wish. Not a command. And not something to adhere to 24 hours a day. She seems like a wise and compassionate soul and not one who would be scolding you for having an inevitably bad moment, day, week, month, etc. I am sure she understands.

    Thank you for allowing us to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the Anonymous comment, but I'll say one thing: you don't need to apologize for ANYTHING you write here.

    This is YOUR blog. If someone takes issue with what you feel and say, too bad for them. My gut response to that kind of criticism is: NEXT?!

    This is part of your sanity, your pressure-relief-valve, your courtroom, your podium, your altar, your panic room, your gym, your closet, your rooftop. Shout it out, sing it, pray it, write it, cry it, think it, say it - any way you need to. God gave us this freedom, and NO ONE has the right to take it away. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey~
    I can't believe that someone told you to move on...may they count their blessings because it is OBVIOUS that they have never had a loss of any kind. We that love you - get it - don't waste your breath~they don't deserve it.
    See you Saturday :)
    Love,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said cuz! Wonderful picture of Auntie Bun too. All my love and support for all blogs written! Keep them coming.

    Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous - Count YOUR blessing my dear, it sounds like you have not lost anyone close to you and you are lucky. I don't know who you are but if you have lost someone I would think you’d have a little more compassion then what was written yesterday. My Mother (as well as the rest of our family) has put one foot in front of the other everyday since Dec. 18th and we will continue to do it everyday for the rest of our lives without Erin in it. The way we choose to “get on with it” is our choice whether it's writing on a blog, reading Harry Potter out loud to her at her grave, eating chicken tenders and BBQ sauce on her Bday, crying in the shower or hugging Keenan, it's up to us! There are many things in life that you "want" and my Mom isn't going to complain or start a blog because she can't get the Jeep Wrangler she always talked about and I’m not going to complain because I can’t afford that trip to Mexico this winter. But to be lectured for “wanting” a life with Erin in it, for “wanting” my only sister to be physically still with me, gimmie a break Lady. I think we all have done a damn good job of moving on with the life we have been given.

    Mom – Don’t let others make you feel bad and continue to write what YOU need to and share with others what you feel is necessary. The problem with writing a blog is that you are opening up your feelings and words to the world and anyone can read them and have their own opinions. It’s like the email you got from a friend that says don’t forget the rest of your family…. Geez, it’s not like you go around introducing me as, “This is our other daughter, Erin’s sister.” (Like the reference?) Not everyone understands unfortunately and I think you do a fantastic job helping the people who do care to understand. Putting your feeling into writing for the world to see is extremely brave. In the words of Karen Gerstenberger, “NEXT!”

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary,

    I just discovered your blog. I am a fan! You write beautifully. You capture this pain, the ups and downs, the desire to be happy and the reality of deep sadness, so perfectly.

    My 14 year old daughter, Caroline, died of a brain tumor in December 2008. Prior to her diagnosis 14 months earlier, she was the perfect picture of health, a good student, good athlete, tons of friends. She was a joy and a treasure.

    I can tell from my little bit of reading, that your Erin was the same. I'm so sorry for your loss, and for all that you, your family and especially Erin have endured. It is hard, I know. Losing a child is not for wimps. It takes courage everyday. Just as your Erin told you all to have fun, my Caroline, after a bad MRI, put her face close to mine, and said "cheer up, buttercup." And so that's what I try to do everyday. It is what she would have wanted.

    Sorry to ramble. Erin's sweet and smiley nature remind me so much of Caroline.

    I will keep you in my prayers, and check back on your blog often. I love the way you write!

    Carol Herrmann
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/carolineh

    ReplyDelete
  8. No such thing as a coinky-dink! Corny, but reminds me of our dear sweet Nancy, the queen of corny!!!! Friends don't let friends do it alone...humbled to hold your hand and navigate this rocky road. You are doing it with grace and style. An honor to call you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mar,
    Lilies and your mother: Beautiful! Your blog itself: always courageous and very moving. (love all the photos!) Ignorant and insensitive people: unfortunately,always around. Mar, keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To My second Mother,

    This has been a long time coming, I've been meaning to put something here on your blog for a long time, but I wasn't sure what.

    This final semester started off pretty difficult, trying to get my life together after the fall and look forward to what I was going to do with myself after graduation.

    I was lucky to stumble into a poetry workshop class that was a required practice class for me to graduate. This is a revision of the first poem I wrote in that class:

    Reflection

    1

    The endless stream
    of snow falls
    attaching themselves
    to each blade

    And upon the hill we stand
    eyes gazed
    to the hole in the ground

    Like looking down the barrel
    of a revolver

    Unsure if today
    is the day
    that it actually goes off

    2

    Hands in mine,
    squeezing ever so
    slightly, as if they
    were saying to me

    “Everything is going
    to be ok. I promise.”

    The newspaper in her car
    stated today was the 23rd
    of December. Last I
    could recall it was the 18th.

    Two things in a
    constant falling motion.

    I can’t stop myself,
    the ground has disappeared.


    Stay strong! I've been following the blog since you started and it seems like its gaining momentum with more and more people finding the inspiration in your words.

    Love and Blessings to you and the fam,

    Michael Hilger

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mrs. Potts,

    Your dignity, courage, and grace through these last few years, especially since December, have been more inspiring than words can describe. You do whatever you need to. If anyone objects, that's just too bad. This blog is all about you!!

    Keep up the wonderful writing. You are reaching lots of people and changing perspectives every single day. I enjoyed our visit today!

    Love always,
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you to all
    ~ for support of my writing efforts
    ~ for "having my back"
    ~ for brushing my hackles back down
    ~ for sharing your poetry with me
    ~ for introducing yourselves to me, new friends
    ~ for a very special day spent with Erin's friend Kristin
    ~ and for the wise words of another beautiful angel Caroline "cheer up, buttercup"
    Today is a new day. Now I just need the sun to come out again. I forget what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  13. To heck with "Anonymous." You don't owe herm an explanation. If this person doesn't get the gravity of your pain and the undertaking of what it means to live on after Erin's passing, well, this person isn't allowed to comment. I'm laying down the rules right here: If you can't show compassion, if you haven't "been there," if you can't have the grace to know when to just shut up and listen, well, there are other website to peddle your 10-cent wisdom on, "Anonymous."

    Mrs. Potts, you are a beautiful writer, your words are inspirational, and no one in the world has a right to dictate how you grieve or at which rate you heal. I'm convinced that person is an alien, or a bonehead with no hobbies, because it is beyond me why they would take the time to condescend you...and then not even sign it! Boooo. The truth and purity in your writing is what makes it so great, so I say "Right on!" and "Write on!"

    Best of luck with the critics,
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete