When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sunflowers and HOPE

~ planting the seeds of HOPE for those in need ~

In memory of Erin's fight with Ewing's sarcoma, we are using the symbol of the sunflower as we live with intention, assisting others whose lives are challenging.

A HUGE thanks to all who have signed up for Saturday's blood drive so far. The number of donors is increasing daily, as people are finding room to fit this event into their busy weekend activities. We're getting really excited about seeing all the generous people willing to come out for a good cause. Birthday cake has been ordered!

There are still some spots available for those of you who have expressed eagerness to come and haven't had a chance to sign up yet. LifeSource will gratefully accept walk-ins, but prefer scheduled appointments so they can be better prepared.

Just a few reminders ~

Arrive about 15 minutes prior to your scheduled time. You most likely received an email reminder generated by the LifeSource website. I got mine yesterday.
Bring an ID - your driver's license is fine.
I'm certain all of you have been eating well!
Eat a good breakfast/lunch before coming to donate.
Make sure you're well-hydrated. (especially if you've had fun the night before!)
Stay calm ~ don't be nervous!
Smile:) This is fun!

You must be 17 or older to donate. (16-year olds may donate with written parental consent.)
There is no upper age limit.
You must weigh a minimum of 110 pounds.

If you have a question about your eligibility due to any medication you're taking, or if have a concern related to a medical condition that you think may prevent you from donating, please call
The LifeSource Medical Help Desk
(847) 803-7921
or (800) 486-0680

My cousin will be out of town for a wedding this weekend, and she really wanted to be a part of the activities. Last week she went to her local center and donated in memory of Erin. Because she fit this into her hectic daily schedule that includes running around with three young boys who are all very active in sports and other activities, she didn't know exactly when she would be able to go and donate because it depended upon who needed to be where at what time, so I couldn't really arrange to be with her.

So, suddenly my phone beeps with a text message. I check, and it's her. And the conversation goes ~
Her ~ Got any good jokes? They're about to draw my pint!
Me ~ (Run to my computer. Google "knock knock jokes + blood"!)
Knock knock. Who's there? Buster. Buster Who? Buster Blood Vessel!
(I know! Lame - but it was all I could come up with on the spur of the moment!)
Her ~ Excellent! And topical! Erin is sending a gorgeous cool breeze into the room I'm in & it definitely kept me from fainting!
Me ~ Wish I was there with you.
Her ~ Me too. You're better at this med stuff than I am.
Me ~ You're one tough cookie yourself! So grateful to you for walking the walk!
Her ~ Don't make me cry for Pete's sake!!

a few minutes pass

Her ~ Holy shit my blood looks purple. Is that normal?
Me ~ You've got GOOD stuff! You're gonna make someone with low hemoglobin feel like a million bucks!

a few more minutes

Her ~ OK! Nothing to it...pint #1 is sealed in honor of one great girl.
Me ~ Beautiful. Are they giving you a good snack?
Her ~ Animal crackers & cold water... never tasted so good.
Me ~ As my dad used to say to you. "Liz Liz the best there is!"
How great that modern technology had us ALMOST together in that room!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the last minute reminder and details about the blood drive-I wouldn't have known to eat before I come. Love your text communication with cousin Liz as she carved out the time in her own hectic schedule to honor your daughter-that's my favorite thing about modern technology, the ability to connect with those all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Potts -

    I read your blog all the time and I want you to know that I think it is wonderful. You write so beautifully. Your words are inspiring to people who have lost someone to cancer and even those who have not. Although I have known pretty much most of my life you have a talent to reach out to people I was never aware of your writing skills. I admire your strength and am positive where Erin got it from. I remember the days in "the battle zone" Erin would smash that ball straight at my face and tell me to "DIG!" I looked up to her as a player and you as a coach. I have always had respect for you, seeing your strength through everything just continues to prove my point.

    I wanted to write to you because I will not be able to make it to the blood drive this weekend. I wish I could be there but I am still in Kentucky for summer school. I will be thinking about all of you this weekend.
    Keep writing - I, as well as many others I'm sure enjoy reading your thoughts.
    Best wishes to you and the rest of your family.

    love,
    sammi grzeca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sammi,

    Your words touch my heart so deeply.

    How little I understood at the time that those countless days within the walls of that hallowed "Battle Zone" and the daughter of its namesake, would fuel me in the years to come...

    Your mom has been so supportive of my efforts in the blood drive and I will give her a hug on Saturday to pass along to you until I have a chance to do so myself.

    Love,
    Mrs Potts

    ReplyDelete
  4. what if I'm 109 lbs? : )

    -Carly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a few Big Macs and chocolate shakes Carly!!!
    You have two whole days to prepare!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am bulking up as we speak!!! My license says I weigh 106 (as I did at 16!) So I'll take your advice Mary..Big Mac attach here I come!!

    BTW Did you say cake?!?! I'm in! Corner piece please, more frosting.
    It's an "all skate" for the Bentley's!

    See you Saturday!
    Love,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete