When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Friday, May 14, 2010

To Find You in Presence, Erin

I'm groping for adequate words today,
so again bowing in gratitude of John O'Donohue's exquisite ability.

HAPPY 19th BIRTHDAY TO OUR DEAR ERIN ~

Though we need to weep your loss,
You dwell in that safe place in our hearts,
Where no storm or might or pain can reach you.

Your love was like the dawn
Brightening over our lives
Awakening beneath the dark
A further adventure of colour.

The sound of your voice
Found for us
A new music
That brightened everything.

Whatever you enfolded in your gaze
Quickened in the joy of its being;
You placed smiles like flowers
On the altar of the heart.
Your mind always sparkled
With wonder at things.

Though your days here were brief,
Your spirit was live, awake, complete.

We look towards each other no longer
From the old distance of our names;
Now you dwell inside the rhythm of breath,
As close to us as we are to ourselves.

Though we cannot see you with outward eyes,
We know our soul's gaze is upon your face,
Smiling back at us from within everything
To which we bring our best refinement.

Let us not look for you only in memory,
Where we would grow lonely without you.
You would want us to find you in presence,
Beside us when beauty brightens,
When kindness glows
And music echoes eternal tones.

When orchids brighten the earth,
Darkest winter has turned to spring;
May this dark grief flower with hope
In every heart that loves you.


May you continue to inspire us:

To enter each day with a generous heart.
To serve the call of courage and love
Until we see your beautiful face again
In that land where there is no more separation,
Where all tears will be wiped from our mind,
And where we will never lose you again.






(© John O’Donohue. All rights reserved)
Some may question my use of a picture of the "sick" Erin on her birthday. This photo was taken last Thanksgiving, one week after her brain tumor surgery and the day before the earth made its final shift.

On that day, Erin was so incredibly HAPPY. The family was together for the whole day. Physically, she felt well. She had a certain sense of peace about her that I now look back on with such gratitude. That day was absolutely beautiful. She OWNED that day with special strength in a way that was so ERIN!

So yes, I want to remember THAT Erin ~ the shining example of courage and love.
And I thought she looked gorgeous!

Oh my goodness!
Look what I just found from my wonderful friend REED!
Talk about a friend staying with you - even from afar.

11 comments:

  1. God Bless you and your family today, Mary! I know this is a painful first birthday without Erin.

    I will see you tomorrow
    teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love you, dear friend. My "e" is shining bright today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Erin! You are shining extra bright today!!

    Mary,

    I was just introduced to your blog by Mary Pass and it's absolutely inspirational. Your writing is beautiful, and I have only just begun.

    Thank you for sharing, as I think about you and your family often--especially on a day like today. I will say an extra prayer today!

    With love,
    Molly Ureel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary
    May you see her beautiful spirit everywhere today. Happy Birthday Erin - I am so lucky to have had you in my life.
    See you tomorrow
    love,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Erin, and to you, the one who gave birth to her.
    Thank you for sharing the John O'Donahue passage. I am giving a talk ata memorial service next month, and that will help me greatly.
    May you feel the brilliance of Erin's love and her spirit with you, today and every day.
    XO Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary,

    Happy Birthday to your beautiful girl, Erin. I'm so sorry you can't give her a birthday hug and kiss. These landmark days, they ought to be joyful, but instead are so bittersweet.

    I have continued to read your blog - and as I read, find myself saying "me too ... that's exactly how I feel..." In the morning, I also wake up and remind my self, every morning, "she's gone, Caroline is still gone." I say those words to myself everyday. But then I grit my teeth and throw back the covers, and try to do what Caroline would do - go out there and have a great day. I sleep pretty well at night, but it is because I'm exhausted. All of this effort to live without my Caroline, AND have a good day at the same time, is exhausting. Grief is exhausting.

    I am rambling. So sorry. Happy Birthday again to your very beautiful and sweet girl, Erin.

    Carol
    Caroline Grace's mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday beautiful girl! I was walking Copper at around 6:00am this morning and oddly enough the sun was absolutely blinding! I know that was you shining down on us this morning.

    Mary, I work with a woman who like you, lost her daughter at an early age. She showed me a poem that her other daughter wrote for her sister. I thought it was beuatiful and just have to share it. It's called...

    I'm Free

    Don't grieve for me, for now I am free
    I'm following the path that God laid for me.
    I took his hand when I heard him call,
    I turned my back and left it all.

    I could not stay another day,
    To laugh, to love, to work, to play.
    Tasks left undone must stay that way,
    For I found peace at the end of the day.

    My parting has left a void,
    So fill it with remembered joy.
    A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss,
    Ah yes, these things I too will miss.

    Be not burdened with time of sorrow,
    I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
    My life's been full, I've savored much,
    Good friends, good times, a loved ones touch.

    Lift up your heart and share with me
    God wanted me now, he has set me free.

    Love,
    Wince

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great picture of her beautiful smile!

    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 19th Birthday, Erin! I have been thinking about you all day, and keeping you and your wonderful family in my prayers. The sunset on your birthday was one of the most beautiful that I have seen in a long time -- covering so much of the western sky -- so exquisite-- you must have had something to do with it!

    Love and Hugs-- Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mrs. Potts,

    All day I have battled with what to text you...nothing seemed right. So I'll leave it at this: Happy Birthday to Erin. To a very, very special person who is dreadfully missed, especially today. In these last 5 minutes of the day, I will say extra prayers for you and your family. The blood drive is sure to be a hit tomorrow. Your efforts in organizing it have not gone unnoticed. You continue to amaze me.

    Love always,
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  11. To all ~

    I'm sipping my coffee, preparing for the day ahead and reading your comments. Your beautiful words mean so much. Thank you to all.

    To my special Kristin, ~ no worries, you always say the right thing. What a comfort to know those prayers were said last night. We were all at Bronswood in the late afternoon and saw the volleyball from you, Margy and Courtney, the perfect birthday gift. We read the words written on it, and through tears were so grateful to all of you, Erin's wonderful friends.
    We brought our own ball, her Alliance one with "Potts" on it, and had a little game amongst ourselves.

    Today is going to be AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete