When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Friday, March 4, 2011

my privilege

But Here I am Permitted to be With You
Sidney Morris


You are ill and so I lead you away
and put you to bed in the back room
you lie breathing softly and I hold your hand
feeling the fingertips relax as sleep comes

You will not sleep more than a few hours
for this illness is less serious than my anger or cruelty
but this dark bedroom is a foretaste of other darknesses
to come later which all of us must endure alone
but here I am permitted to be with you

After a while in your sleep your fingers clutch tightly
and I know that whatever may be happening
-- the fear coiled in dreams or the bright trespass of pain --
there is nothing at all I can do except hold your hand
and not go away.
~


I recently stumbled upon this poem quite by chance. I suppose one often stumbles upon things one is truly meant to find.

This is the door to the room on the first floor of our home that became Erin's bedroom when we brought her home from the hospital. I've sat alone for hours in those grief-filled darknesses, while staring down the hall at that doorway and while sitting in that room ~ absorbing the impact of our lives forever changed by a cancer diagnosis, at times angered that my proclaimed meticulous care couldn't fix her, humbled by the powerlessness of my control over what her eventual path and purpose would be, astounded by the courage and grace of a girl so young, and with gratitude for the awarenesses her illness and death continue to inspire within myself and among others, often in unexpected ways... for the latter bits of realization bring clarity that these manifestations are consistent with my belief that there was not the loss of a battle with cancer, but rather a beautiful life well lived.

The poem paints a striking contrast
of agony borne of outrage, frustration and fear
~ there is nothing at all I can do ~
and the understanding that presence with my daughter
was a privilege and a gift
for had I not always been there, would I still feel her hand in mine?

4 comments:

  1. I read your blog daily. It has taken some time to procees and find words that would fit to make a comment. What comes to mind? Wow. Simply beautiful.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. stumbling. yes. it happens for a reason.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. you will always feel her hand in yours....
    and your being there will always grace your beautiful erin.

    so glad you are here....slipping your hand into the hearts of so many, fortifying our house of belonging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet yet strong Mary: Ditto Rebecca's words.
    Found Bronswood the other day. Knew it was somewhere over there. When I came upon it unexpectedly on a run, I thought, with admiration, about this incredible young woman who graced us with her presence on earth. "There's Erin!" It is a beautiful, peaceful place and I can picture Keenan roaming around. Erin lives on holding your hand,forever carried in your heart,and touching countless lives. Thank you, Erin and Mary.

    ReplyDelete