When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Friday, June 18, 2010

"YOPP!"

Because Erin's death six months ago today rocked my world, I selfishly want the earth to noticeably shift somehow due to her absence, even though she didn't really weigh all that much. Perhaps that listing motion I continue to feel is only personally discernible, due to the gravitational pull of my heavy heart ~ a tidal bulge of grief.

I ask for just a few moments of your time; moments spent in recognition of Erin's life and, in turn, the lives of all those whose worlds have been affected by cancer. Most likely, the majority of you know someone who has, or at one time had, an unsolicited personal relationship with the disease. Perhaps if we join together in the same "space" we can cause a noticeable shift, maybe not in Mother Earth, but in awareness, with acknowledgement of all those challenged to stare down this potentially-lethal adversary.

In this quest I'm reminded of Dr. Seuss' story, "Horton Hears a Who". With his highly-sensitive elephant ears, only Horton is able to hear the voices of the tiny Whos crying for help, desperate because their world has fallen apart. Alas, no one else can hear them. All in Whoville are implored by the mayor to yell as loudly as possible, with the hope that if this act is done in unison their small voices can be heard. They begin to make a great racket: hollering, and banging drums, and blowing horns and still they are not heard. A thorough search of the town is conducted, and at last "One Shirker, quite hidden away in the Fairfax Apartments, Apartment 12-J" is discovered. This silent "young twerp" is carried to the top of the tower, and when strongly urged to yell with the rest of the community, clears his throat and simply shouts ~ "YOPP"!

With the addition of that one tiny "YOPP", their voices finally ring out loud and clear. Lo and behold, those in charge of making decisions finally hear them. Their whole world is "saved by the smallest of all".

Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Today, I'm asking for a collective "YOPP".

LIVESTRONG Action has a dedication book that salutes those whose lives have been touched by cancer, with the intention of increasing awareness about the need to take action against this disease that affects so many. Last night, I designed a page for Erin. Hers is one of nearly 50,000 pages, each created with love by family and friends of those whose lives have been touched by this disease.

I received this response ~
"LIVESTRONG Action will send this dedication book, with your signatures, to world leaders and pressure them to make cancer a priority in their own countries. It's our best chance to push for better treatment, more funding for cancer research and access to care for everyone around the world."

One of Erin's volleyball teammates had erin #8 Livestrong bracelets made for friends and our family members in December of 2006 when she was initially diagnosed with Ewing's sarcoma.
I haven't taken mine off since.



LiveStrong has now ended this dedication campaign.
Thanks so much to those of you who participated.

Please, take a moment to click on ~


This link will connect you to her personal page, where you can add your name to the list of those willing to acknowledge the memory of Erin and others like her, all who have been taken from us too soon. Your name will also show your willingness to stand in strong support, honoring those who continue to LIVE daily with the challenges of this disease as they desperately hope for a cure.

I also ask you to kindly spread the word by forwarding the link to my blog so this information reaches as many as possible. Thank you.

Perhaps the cumulative effect of all our signatures will carry enough weight to cause my desired blip in the earth's movement. It's worth a try.




I REALLY REALLY HATE CANCER.

Six months...


6 comments:

  1. The days can fly by or simply seem to stop without warning. Today will be a day to pass on the word, to get the word out to help others who are living with cancer. LOVE to you and yours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when the three of us saw that movie in the theatre? One of the best book series!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome sentiment and beautifully told. Sharing this with everyone I can...

    ~Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOPP!!! Thinking of you and Erin today, Mary. I will light an extra candle next to Jessica's. I got the sunflowers and info in the mail the other day. THANK YOU so much for thinking of me!! ♥

    You've probably seen/read this before. Perhaps it's even here on your blog? I just wanted to share, because it's brought me comfort in the past:

    A Letter from Above

    Dear Mom and Dad, I know this is a rough time for you. So I will be as gentle as I can be.

    First of all, thank you for so many tears, particularly those shared with another that you love. They are a gift to me, a precious tribute to your investment in me. As you do your mourning, do it at your pace only. Don't let anybody suggest that you do your grief work on their timetable. Do whatever it takes to face directly the reality of what has happened, even though you may need to pause frequently and yearn for my return. Do this with courage and my blessings.

    Know that sometimes inertia is the only movement possible.

    Give your best to keeping a balance between remembering me and renewing your commitments to life. It's O.K. with me if you go through minutes, hours and even days not thinking about me. I know that you'll never forget. Loosening me and grabbing hold of a new meaning is a delicate art. I'm not sure if one comes before the other or not, maybe it's a combination.

    Be with people who accept you as you are. Mention my name out loud, and if they don't make a hasty retreat, they're probably excellent candidates for friendship.

    If, by a remote possibility, you think that there is anything that you could have done for me and didn't, I forgive you, as my Lord does. Resentment does not abide here, only love.

    You know how people sometimes ask you how many children you have? Well, I'm still yours and you are still my parents. Always acknowledge that with tenderness, unless to do so would fall on insensitive ears or would be painful to you. I know how you feel inside. To be included as your child honours me.

    Read, even though your tears anoint the page. There is an immense library here and I have a card. In Henri Nowens' "Out of Solitude", he writes, "The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair and confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not healing, and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares."

    Mom and Dad, I don't know where you are spiritually now, but rest assured that our God is not gone. The still small voice you hear in your heart is His voice. The warmth that sometimes enfolds you is Him. The tears that tremble just beneath your heartbeat is Him. He is in you, as I am.

    I want you both to know that I am O.K.

    I have sent you messages to ease your pain, they come in the form of flowers that bloom out of season, birds singing, voices and visions and sometimes through your friends and even strangers who volunteer as angels. Stay open but don't expect the overly dramatic. You will get what you need and it may be simply an internal peace. You are not crazy, you have been comforted.

    Please seek out people bereaved longer than you. They are tellers of truth, and if they have done their work, are an inspiration and a beacon of hope whose pain lessened dramatically. And one more wisdom before I close. There are still funny happenings in our world. It delights me to no end when I hear your spontaneous, uncontrolled laughter. That, too, will come in due time.

    Today, I light a candle for you. Joined with your candle, let their light shine above the darkness.

    Affectionately,
    Your Angel Child

    PS: I'll. see you later.

    ~~ Author Unknown

    Hugs to you. ♥

    ~Heide
    m/o ^Jessica^ (Forever 17) & Jake (19)
    http://caringbridge.org/visit/jessicarandall

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOPP! is a good motto. These "anniversaries" suck, and I am so sorry for your pain. But I like what you are doing with it, and I'm off to sign beautiful Erin's page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete