When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

At Times, One Must

especially when there's a birthday involved

I know the title to the blog post I published just a week ago is "There's no Going Back". Well, I digress. There are times when it's necessary ~ and fun!

There are some special boxes from the past, that upon entrance allow me to stroll down a lane of good memories, like a Spring Break trip to Ft. Lauderdale during the summer of 1977 when I was nineteen-years-young! with my best friend. (Yes, that is a cigarette in my hand. Do NOT do as I did years ago, do as I say ~ Don't Smoke! It was a phase, and I quit 30 years ago.)

Thank goodness for these memories, for they contrast with the ones that are oh so difficult these days, create perspective and thereby enrich life to its fullest.

I met Wincie in 7th grade and she has been a part of my life ever since.


Are we gorgeous or what?!


In preparation for an evening out, I was probably working toward the Farrah Fawcett look. Not sure what Wincie had going on here! At times we used orange juice cans instead of rollers, and we ironed our hair, with a real iron on the ironing board - NOT with a fancy Chi flat iron, thank you very much. You young things are so spoiled!

Oh my gosh, it's Carole King with the guitar! I don't understand why she didn't invite me onstage last week.



I am so fortunate to say I have this great friend with whom I've shared the day-to-day challenges of the teen years, the crazy adventures of vacations, the same superb taste in music and secrets & angst about high school loves. Our alliance remained strong through the years while we followed our own individual paths through relationships, marriage, children and careers. She was there with support while Erin was sick, with presence in celebration of milestone events (Erin's graduation party, pictured below with our other buddy "Goose") and now she is here with her wacky sense of humor and compassionate warmth, helping my heart survive.




We haven't changed one darn bit.
My hair is still wild and we still can't see Wincie's eyes when she smiles.

Ha ~ not everyone can say they have a friend named Wincie!
Happy (belated) Birthday my friend!
But when you know that you've got a real friend somewhere
suddenly all the others are so much easier to bear


- Jackson Browne

5 comments:

  1. What a great post! Happy Birthday to Wincie! She always makes me laugh!

    The clothes are coming back in style. I have a swimsuit just like the one pictured above! And yes i am spoiled with my Chi!!

    LOVE that dress on Erin! She could really vamp it up when she wanted too!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. wincie and goose. i love it, potts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes a birthday will make you sit back and take a good hard look at your life. I just had a birthday like that. I must admit that I was feeling sorry for myself (shame on me) and wondering why my life didn't turn out to be the
    fairy tale I envisioned it would be(but whose did)? I'm not married, I didn't have children...what have I done that has been meaningful and worthwhile?

    Mary, I read your birthday post, with those great 70's pictures, and you made me realize that I have done something spectacular. That I have made a difference in your life, and that you think enough of me to post those beautiful words. That means more to me than you will ever know. You make my heart survive too!

    Sarah and Mary, I want to see a picture of you two clad in bell bottoms and halter tops (tube tops if you prefer). I'm depending on you to "BRING BACK THE 70's".

    Love,
    Wincie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the 70's Wincie, but I will let Sarah put on the halter top. No one is going to see my stomach at this point. I have a lot of work to do before that happens! I think I could still pull off the bell bottoms though.

    Hmmmm, this could be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are lucky enough to have a friend like Wincie....you are lucky enough! I have only met her a few times, but she is so warm and fun. You can see her heart before you see her eyes! (Mary said it! That to me is a perfect smile, all heart no eyes. Me too!!)
    Everyone should have a Wincie! Can I have her too??

    ReplyDelete