When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Friday, June 11, 2010

A Little Piece of her Carried Forth

I took the photo below last June 13th, so almost exactly one year ago today. Erin is holding my brother's granddaughter, so I think that makes these girls first cousins once removed. I always get mixed up with correct generational terminology!

This precious baby was six weeks old at the time, and our family had gathered in celebration of Erin's graduation from high school, for a little pre-party the day before the big bash. This allowed us special visiting time, including the opportunity to eat this little doll up without having to share her with so many others the next day.
I just love this picture of these two beauties ~
a little one asleep, peacefully content,
as the older one looks over her, cradling with care.
Were a few secrets shared?



As I absorb this image of Erin, I see
~ long, slender fingers, with nails still manicured from the previous week's prom
~ cheeks not swollen from steroids (a side-effect she detested)
~ a healthy complexion with a hint of the summer's glow beginning
~ the tiny freckles on her nose
~ a six-month growth of shiny brown hair that the then-current chemo had allowed her to keep for a time
~ dark, defined brows
~ and one of my absolute favorite features - her sweeping thick eyelashes

Staring at the picture now, I'm filled with such intense hope that a little piece of her is somehow carried forth into everyone she touched, through the life she lived for eighteen short years; before AND with cancer. That thought, of her sustained presence in some form, settles my heart these days.

I'm so much more aware of how each generation thrives, nurtured by the love of family and friends. Isn't it wonderful?
(I got to munch this doll recently and she is just delicious!)
Can you remember the smell of your baby? I sure can, all four of them.



I have to share some more pictures I snapped during our recent visit, just because they make me happy!

Keenan, do you think I need a pedicure? My feet are getting a little grubby because I don't like wearing my shoes. Don't tell my mom!


They're coming to get me for a nap soon. Quick, pick me up and take me somewhere to hide! I'm not going to look over there, but you take a peek. Does anyone see us?


"Who loves ya baby!"

9 comments:

  1. erin is certainly in that last shot...i can see her shadow.

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful photos. Erin looks so tender as she holds her "cousin" (I don't know the correct designation either!). And of course Keenan's gentleness is also visible, particularly in that last photo. What a great guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks for showing those sweet pics. I too love the picture of Erin holding K. I know the two of them bonded and K will definitely carry a piece of Erin's strength with her.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like a baby, and look at the love!!! LOVE Erin's hair, so stinkin' cute. Looks like she is telling her cousin all kinds of good dirt!
    Keenan is the best dog, I can see why he is your favorite child!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful baby, and Keenan has the sweetest face! But your Erin...she just glowed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary. I clicked over from Karen's blog when I saw that you also live in Chicago, but your blog was not what I was expecting. I'm so sorry that cancer stole your beautiful daughter. I just sat and read back through every post in your archives, and I'm a bit overwhelmed with emotion right now. It's still so fresh and new for you, and I'm in awe of your strength. Now when I pray for Katie, I will also be praying for Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for introducing yourself to me ChiTown Girl. It's nice to meet someone else who lives in the neighborhood. Yes, my blog is a little heavy. Thanks for sticking with it. It's a difficult topic to read about, especially when you don't live in the crazy cancer world.

    I took a few moments to look at your blog, and I'll read more in the near future to get to know you better as well. I know it's almost the end of the school year for CPS teachers. My good friend across the street teaches 1st grade. She's ready!! Kids checked out weeks ago!

    I "met" Karen in the internet world too, and she has been so encouraging in my writing endeavors. She's some steps ahead of me and I appreciate her wisdom and experience as I find my way. I appreciate the prayers for Erin so much, and if you have a moment, one for me every now and then would be great!

    Yeah Hawks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess we are all lucky that Keenan wasn't hungry at the time. He certainly is savage...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how I LOVE Erin's short, sassy hairdo! It just shows how incredibly beautiful she is. Mare, I agree, her eyelashes are tremendous. I'm not sure how much I spend on mascara every year - I'm sure it's a lot. And I still can't achieve the "Erin Look" - UGH!

    I wonder what Erin and Kathleen Rose were talking about? Discussing their Irish names? Hmmm...I guess it's strictly between the two of them.

    If Keenan gets any cuter, I am going to have to bring him home - JUST KIDDING MARE! I know you would never part with him. I wouldn't either.

    Love,
    Wincie

    ReplyDelete