When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Finding the Words


On Sunday, Dave and I treated ourselves to the Chicago production of Broadway's Billy Elliot. Oh my gosh! If you have a chance - go see it!

The story takes place in the UK, beginning in 1984, when the British National Union of Mineworkers are striking as they attempt to save the coal industry from closure due to political opposition. (Margaret Thatcher is not very popular!) Billy is the son of one of the striking mineworkers; a member of one of the families struggling to survive the hardships of the time. His dad wants him to take up boxing, but Billy has no interest. Instead, by chance, he happens upon a ballet class held in the same sports center as the boxing lesson. The teacher coaxes him to dance a bit, and after initial hesitation Billy tries and, little by little, finds he likes it. The instructor's critical eye spots potential and she encourages him to stick around. After observing more, she decides he is truly gifted and eventually convinces him to audition for the Royal Ballet. You can imagine how well this goes over when his father finds out what he has been doing with all his time, assuming he was at his boxing classes! Let's just say the news was not well received.

This is a truly stirring account of a boy who has the guts it takes to follow his dream, with hopes of eventually escaping his pre-destined future as a coal miner. He is further motivated by a treasured letter from his "mum" who died when he was younger, in which she says to him:
In everything you do
Always be yourself, Billy
And you always will be true


There were many moving scenes, with the distress of the mineworkers highlighted as the strike takes a devastating toll on their lives. The ballet instructor was humorous and dedicated. And the parts where Billy is reading his mother's letter, with her (in memory) filling in words as he cannot finish the sentences (yes, I was using my kleenex during these scenes), permeate with deep emotion, as do the scenes where he expresses his rage and frustration about the many conflicts he faces.

The dancing was spectacular, especially that of the 13-year-old boy who played the part of Billy. The child's talent is extraordinary!

But the part of the play that especially moved me was when Billy, after auditioning at the Royal Ballet, is asked the thought-to-be-simple question "Why do you like to dance?" by the judges. Should be an easy answer, right?
He stutters and stammers, unable to find the right words. And then the music begins, and his explanation is revealed in dance and song.
I can't really explain it, I haven't got the words
It's a feeling that you can't control
I suppose it's like forgetting, losing who you are
And at the same time something makes you whole

It's like that there's a music, playing in your ear
And I'm listening, and I'm listening, and then I disappear

And then I feel a change, like a fire deep inside
Something bursting me wide open, impossible to hide
And suddenly I'm flying, flying like a bird
Like Electricity, electricity
Sparks inside of me, and I'm free, I'm free

It's a bit like being angry; it's a bit like being scared
Confused and all mixed up and mad as hell
It's like when you've been crying
And you're empty and you're full
I don't know what it is, it's hard to tell

It's like that there's some music, playing in your ear
But the music is impossible, impossible to hear

But then I feel it move me
Like a burning deep inside
Something bursting me wide open
Impossible to hide
And suddenly I'm flying
Flying like a bird
Like Electricity, electricity
Sparks inside of me
And I'm free, I'm free



Billy is unable to find the words for PASSION. How do you adequately define your PASSION? While watching this magnificent dance scene and listing to the words of the song, I was caught in the emotion of how fortunate anyone who has a deep-seated love for SOMETHING - ANYTHING, is.

When you LOVE something - whether it be dance, cooking, your work, playing volleyball, gardening, being a mother, coaching, photography - so much it defies a name, and you can only FEEL it, SENSE it with your inner being -
HOW LUCKY ARE YOU!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful that you had this opportunity. Art & music often illustrate what words alone cannot. I agree with you that passion is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only people would realize how lucky they are to have the opportunity to LOVE! Not only one thing, but EVERYTHING they have--family, work, hobbies, etc.

    ReplyDelete