When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Enter, the NEW Setter and Erin's other FAMILY

This is a picture of ERIN'S TEAM, taken during the summer of 2006.
This was her other FAMILY. This was Erin's PASSION.


#8 is in the middle of the pack! "Hey Colleen and Melvin! LOOK!"


Erin had always set for the top team. #8 was on a mission to play in college. When the cancer began to rear its ugly head, one of her symptoms was a loss of appetite which was SO uncharacteristic of her. She could down a fat cheeseburger with the best of them! We initially thought she couldn't eat due to anxiety over the "diagnosis" of patellar tendonitis & an atrophied quad muscle, and overwhelming concern this would keep her from being placed on the top club team during the crucial college recruiting year. We thought she was so distressed she couldn't eat. WRONG!
The rest is detailed in previous blog posts.

Enter, the new setter, Kristin Hoffman. Pardon me? Who is SHE? Who is this girl who has just transferred in from another club and is going to play MY daughter's position on the court?
Kristin was placed in an unenviable spot - replace the girl with cancer who has been playing competitively with this club since she was in 3rd grade - don't worry, no pressure!

In the photo below, Kristin is all the way to the right in the front row. Erin is standing in the center of the back row, just one week after her first chemo treatment and 35 pounds less than she weighed before she got sick.


This Power League date was the first time I went to see the new setter play, and the first time I was to see Erin's team play without her. I was so nervous about watching, concerned about how I would feel seeing Kristin in Erin's place on the court. While truly understanding the pressure she was under, I wanted to be open-minded and considerate. Obviously, this girl chosen to run the team was qualified or she wouldn't have been placed there, and naturally, due to Erin's circumstances, the position had to be filled.

Remember however, that at this stage I was the mother who was very busy setting up residence in the previously-mentioned nuthouse!

I took quite a few deep breaths that day and I did watch - carefully. I watched on subsequent days, and little by little I became acquainted with this amazingly talented, gifted athlete who eventually became one of Erin's dearest friends. She was gracious and respectful from the start, always referring to the group as "Erin's Team".

Kristin was a member of Erin's other FAMILY, the group that enfolded her, remaining steadfast and supportive, at her side throughout the three years.

On more than one occasion, Kristin has told me she feels that somehow she was destined to meet Erin, and after witnessing the events of the recent years unfold, I truly believe that to be true. I have a difficult time imagining anyone other than Kristin in this role.

Please click on Kristin Hoffman to read an article from the NIU website (where she earned her scholarship and is the starting setter) about her special relationship with Erin. At the bottom of the article it says "visit her Relay for Life homepage" and you may click there to read more about this incredible young lady and all she is doing for Erin.



The majority of the girls from Erin's team have continued on to play college volleyball.

The half-empty side of me grieves for what Erin could never have, even if she had survived the cancer.

The HALF-FULL side reminds me that we were blessed to experience the years of joy due to volleyball and everything that accompanied it - the teamwork, a healthy lifestyle, a strong body, a never-ending determination, a focused work ethic, FUN times, and spectacular FRIENDS.







Now, when the girls email or text, and especially when they come to visit, I feel as though I'm still in touch with a very special piece of Erin that is offered to me, available only through them. I cherish the considerate attention I receive in spite of their busy lives.










And so, to ALL of Erin's Lions and First Alliance and High Performance teammates -

Keep playing hard, with confidence and determination.

Hit the floor.
Put up the perfect set.
Stuff your opponent.
Pound the ball.










Remember #8

and

"Have Fun"!

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful family. Strong, thoughtful, hardworking, lovely young women doing something they love, together...it's wonderful to be invited to peek into this family of Erin's with you. Thank you!
    Erin has such a sweet light shining in her eyes. She is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were good days Mary! I remember being at those qualifiers and trying to figure out who had to beat who and who had to lose in order for the team to get a bid to the JO's. Also Erin and Ali hugging and crying after a tough loss and you saying to me "what is going on here, Erin NEVER crys." The girls created a new family together during those volleyball days. And as much as Colleen, Melissa and Rachel might have hoped, sleep was never a goal after lights out, just not getting caught making to much noise after lights out. I love all the pictures you include with your blogs.
    Love, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,

    So many memories of the two years I was blessed to coach this group of girls have overcome me to the point of tears as I read this. My own 3 year old daughter is begging me to play volleyball with her as I type (in her Cubs jersey no less!)Anyways, I jusy wanted to stop in a share with you how both you and Erin have helped, and still continue to help me coach my 13 year old setters. Erin, Kristen P., and I had had many, many chats about what their role was being the setters on my team. I was always looking for ways to inspire and push them to be the best they could be. When Erin was either 12 (I think that's when this happened), I was having trouble getting her to set EVERY ball. She would think she couldn't get to a ball so she would pass it instead of setting to her hitters. One day, you bluntly told me to make her set 25 balls for every ball she didn't set. And so I did. And so Erin did...100's of sets she did until she finally figured out she could set every ball! Well, I still use that rule, in fact, I call it the "Erin Potts's rule". With some teams I have had to use it more than others, and this year is no exception. So even though Erin may not be here with us, know that she is still helping shape my 7th grade setters by teaching them they can get to EVERY ball:)
    Love,
    Rachell Entler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rachell,

    I remember making this suggestion to you! I am a mother who is not afraid to use a bit of "tough love" when necessary, and this was one of the circumstances where it applied. I knew she could get to the ball. She just needed to DO IT to learn that she COULD do it, if that makes sense.

    I'm honored that the "Erin Potts Rule" is still in effect. I know it would please her. Oh how she loved volleyball, every bit of it...

    Thank you for writing. You tell that precious daughter of yours to keep wearing that Cubs jersey. Maybe some day they'll do it!

    ReplyDelete