When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Space

I tell people I'm not who I once was. I don't know if they really understand. Some do. I guess. I hope. For a long time after Erin was diagnosed with cancer I'd said that if she didn't survive, if I had to one day bury my child, then they'd have to put me in the earth right alongside her. They did.  A large part of who I once was is in that ground. Gone.   And when I visit Bronswood I often lie in the soft grass on top of her, feeling her in the breezes that blow and the wind chimes that ring and the flowers that bloom, and I wish I could stay under the protective limbs of the pine tree that towers over her; the one that withstood recent turbulent storms that felled mighty oaks just across the way.


The deaths of Skye and Dr Nachman caused eruptions of fresh pain. It's pain that's always under the surface, but pushed deep to the core by the necessity of everyday living. One has to function and smile. It's expected. And I want to do so.
Most of the time.

There are exciting events happening and challenging responsibilities to learn at new jobs and dirty clothes to be washed.  All important. Some mundane.  All part of -Well, life does go on, you know.
Yes, it does.

We host parties to celebrate the truly wonderful occasions in our lives ~


to welcome the lovely, soon-to-be member of our family


by showering her with gifts in anticipation of an August 6th wedding!


But there's an energy required to roller coaster between these joyous events and that core pain, complicated by the resurgence of my own grief in the recent experience of my friend Hope's fresh grief and my profound sadness over the shocking death of the physician that helped guide Erin to a better life in spite of the chaotic effects of her cells at war within. It's an energy few understand.  
Throw yourself into the present. Into the lives of those around you. Have fun!

I do.  We do, those of us who've buried children do so as best we can, but the gaping hole left by their absence, an unfulfillable hunger pang, constantly gnaws at our insides. Our lives become a complicated series of integrations necessitated by the jagged tear that splits us in two; fragmented pieces penetrating each side.

We grieve the one gone, and look for ways to include them


among the events of the present time.


The internal on/off emotion toggle of those of us with dead children doesn't always switch seamlessly. It occasionally shorts out and results in sparks of tears and exhaustion. Grief truly is hard work.

I'm now the editor of the newsletter for the Chapter of The Compassionate Friends, where I've attended meetings for about a year. Members of the steering committee submit articles of interest for possible inclusion in the issues, and I recently received the one below that I've pulled into the July/August publication. Due to the ever-present dichotomy of grief - joy, and the complexity of the elements that now define me/us, its theme hit home.

~
Please experience me as I am and not as you think I should be. I have
transformed and emerged out of the cocoon of ignorance and paradisiacal bliss.
I have seen the other side of life; I have visited the landscape of suffering
and know all its twists and turns and I need to tell you this story of mine. It
will require of you that you listen carefully and without prejudice. You do not
know this land, how can you; so I will teach you about it graciously.

At times, I may be angry at you for not knowing this place of desolation and suffering, and other times I will forgive you for not knowing. I will often treat you in a
way that makes you feel what I am feeling. I ask you to forgive me for this, but
it is a strange experience being me.

Often I wonder why people do not visit this place of their own accord.
I guess nobody wants to know this kind of sadness unless they have to.

My journeys there have made me wiser, stronger, more compassionate,
cynical, sad and bitter. It's strange, but all of those qualities can be
in the same person at the same time.

I have returned to your world a different person
and if you want to get to know me as I am now, then we
can meet and share with each other. If not, I will leave your space.


TCF Atlanta Online


- beneath the pine tree

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new job! You will be a huge asset to that organization. You write and express yourself so beautifully, and that lights the way for others. Well done!
    The shower looks as if it was lovely. Best wishes to the bride & groom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, congratulations!

    I said something sarcastic to a friend a month or so ago and we laughed and laughed, and she said, "I'm so glad that you're better - we used to laugh so much" -- and I thought, OMG, I am so not who you think I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not know your pain. I sit on the "before" side. However I want you to know that I try to honor Erin and Katie and all of the children that have gone on their journeys leaving broken Mom's behind. My friend lost a little boy and I visit you and Karen and others so that I might do the "right" thing and not the dumb or ignorant thing. You are a very thoughtful writer...congrats on the editor position and the shower!!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin - We just crossed paths in cyber world here.
    HA HA - Could you have hit that nail any more squarely on its head?
    (applause, applause)

    Beth, I don't think I know you, but thank you from the very bottom of my broken heart for reading and caring about what those of us on this side go through. It means so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so right on and horribly beautiful Mary.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Carin

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have taught me so much. You make me feel like anything I say isn't dumb, we laugh and cry together and it is right and good. The shower looks like it was a huge success. The sunflowers are a perfect touch to keep Erin in the mix. Keep her memory alive with stories, laughter and tears.
    So many good things coming your way, famliy growing, new job. Only you can spin all those plates! I am happy to help you spin, but I am more of a sitter and watcher!!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. Potts,

    I don't write often but I am always up-to-date on your postings. Usually I don't write because I don't feel that any words of mine can measure up to your beautiful archives.

    I think that everyone has "defining moments" in their lives. Some (as in your case) are much more defining than others. I remember talking to Carly once about how I've changed - certain events just change you. And her response was, "Yep it's true - you've changed. But I love you both ways."

    So Mrs. Potts, of course you've changed. You might never be "who you once were." But.... I love you both ways.

    Much love,
    Chrissy Schurla

    PS - Beautiful shower for a beautiful bride!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHO is that Chrissy Schurla ??!!

    She must be young because she calls you Mrs. Potts, but what a heart of wisdom.

    What I would give for a friend to say that he or she loves me both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary,

    I am a young adult who has faced many struggles; cancer being one, but not necessarily the biggest.

    Your words are beautiful. Most specifically,

    "My journeys there have made me wiser, stronger, more compassionate,
    cynical, sad and bitter. It's strange, but all of those qualities can be
    in the same person at the same time."

    Thank you for these words. They validate how I feel, and how I've felt for a long time. You put into words what I more than likely could have ever expressed myself.

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah Robin, that Chrissy is a very special individual. She is a friend/former college vb teammate of our daughter Sarah, now married and the mother of two young children. She's smart, beautiful, compassionate... the whole deal, AND she has this incredible long and lean 6-foot armspan that can wrap you in a whole lotta love! When I got home from work last night and read her comment, I cried some of those really GOOD tears. She loves me both ways. Oh Chrissy...

    And, although Margaret's armspan and stature are of a more compact nature, she's the real deal too. She's a sensitive listener, has never turned tail in fear of my new personality (she knew the old me for a long time too) and she's a lover and sharer of chocolate. Does it get much better?

    To Anonymous, I'm genuinely sorry for your struggles. All of them, whatever they may be. Those words you mentioned above aren't my own, but part of the quote from TCF Atlanta, and boy do they sure describe the complex person I've become too!
    Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found this poem and I thought it was so beautiful - reflecting so many feeling that we have when losing a child. For me, I lost my son Ryan T. Mazgay on September 1, 2010 - 10 months tomorrow. Please enjoy this poem:

    In Memory of My Son Todd

    Please, don't ask me if I'm over it yet
    I'll never get over it
    Please, don't tell me he's in a better place
    He's not here with me
    Please, don't say at least he isn't suffering
    I haven't come to terms with why he had to suffer at all
    Please, don't tell me you know how I feel
    Unless you have lost a child
    Please don't ask me if I feel better
    Bereavment isn't a condition that clears up
    Please, don't tell me you had him for so many years
    What year would you chose for your child to die?
    Please, don't tell me God never gives more than we can bear
    Please, just say you are sorry
    Please, just say you remember my child
    Please mention my child's name
    Please, just let me cry.

    (In memory of Donovan Todd Hunsaker written by his mother, Kay.)

    Jan

    June 30, 2011 3:32 PM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to Ms. Tasha...who will soon join the most amazing Potts family! As the generations shift in my own family (I am now a great auntie), I think to myself, "This is OK, this is as it should be, the departure of our elders, the arrival of our youngsters".

    And then I remember, with a pang, of Erin's terribly early departure and my heart gulps. I send her some love, and I send some to you, too, Potts. Sometimes that's all I can think of to do. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. and you do it well, reed
    very very well

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mar, Beautiful shower.(Were these thoughts running through your head: 'Nice to meet you. You know I have a daughter who is not here/deceased/buried...she should be at her brother's wedding...yes, it's a lovely day...it is not complete...I am not complete...you are welcome...I'd really like Erin to be here...')I have not walked a day in your shoes, Mary,but I suspect behind every smile/new event is a pounding heart with a gaping hole...There is no going back yet the new you is as AMAZING as the old.My thoughts and prayers are always with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bless you, Irene.
    A part of your heart must reside in my head, because you're reading my daily thought patterns perfectly...

    ReplyDelete