When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Friday, September 3, 2010

Now, With Added Meaning

Perhaps you've noticed that I've been changing my blog's sidebar around a bit. Among other things, I've added Tagore's "My Song", which is the passage we chose and had printed on the back of Erin's mass cards. We thought the words conveyed the sense of her ongoing presence in such a beautiful way.


I've also added the ribbon graphic to highlight the fact that
September is
Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.

It's an understatement to say that I'm now very much drawn to cancer-related issues. Inserting this graphic made me think about how the significance of ribbons and the meanings & characteristics associated with colors now impact me a little differently.

Several years ago (which actually seems more like a lifetime ago at the moment) when I coached junior high girls volleyball, I sometimes had to get a little creative to motivate those young athletes whose attention could wander off to things unrelated to the task at hand. Funny how that happens with adolescent girls! To fire them up a bit, I decided to give them ribbons to tie on their shoes when they won a match. Each opposing team in our league was represented by a ribbon that corresponded with that team's school colors.


Those colored ribbons symbolized
Teamwork, Motivation, Winning,
Success After Hard Work, Goals Attained, Fun!

When the season began, I gave each player a red ribbon with white polka dots to signify the school colors of St. Cletus, and I tied one to my spiral coaching notebook. I dug out those spirals, with the red/white ribbons still attached, along with scrapbooks that contain photos and notes I'd received from players & parents throughout the years.

I sat on the floor amidst the piles, as waves of wonderful memories washed over me while I relived the days spent with sweaty, happy, pony-tailed girls in SO many gyms in SO many places for SO many years... I LOVED coaching.

OK, Cletus & IC folks, here it is ~
the page from the best match ever held in The Barn!
(clicking on the image will enlarge it)
Yes, I know: 14-25(ick!) 25-23 and 21-25 in favor of IC ;(


The girls also loved to show off their "artistic abilities" and I always let them decorate my notebooks with their graffiti.
I have some real treasures!
Here's a brief stroll down memory lane.
Perhaps you recognize some of these young ladies!


1996 ~ SPL League Champions


1998 ~ Victory at IHM Tournament




2001 ~ Hodgkins Tournament Champs



2004 ~ Honoring NBS in the Battle Zone


I carried the theme of color a bit further with the team pictured in the orange victory T-shirts above. (Erin, who was 10 at the time, was my assistant coach and claimed part-ownership of that big trophy!) On Sports Awards Night during their 8th grade year, I gave my players printed cards on which I'd explained the symbolic meaning of some colors. I found it so interesting to look at the descriptions and character traits of each color, and then think of the personalities of my girls to see which ones they resembled most. The majority were a combination of the spectrum, but some really had strong tendencies toward one in particular. It was that secret blend that always made us a spectacular TEAM!

This is what I gave them. Is there a specific color that most accurately describes you, or are you a mixture of hues?

The Universal Meaning of Colors

Red is a strong color
that stands for force and high energy.
It is a color of leadership and the color of the pioneer.
Red makes the first move.

Blue shows devotion and steady progress.
It is the color of creative energy and quiet wisdom.
Blue cares about the welfare of others
and shows compassion and great inner strength.

Green is the color of nature.
It is a strong energy and attracts a lot of positive power.
It is the shade of peace and harmony,
the color of honesty and truth.

Yellow is friendly and cheerful.
It shows action and warmth,
and is also the color of intelligence.
Yellow is the shade of social energy.
It indicates cooperation from others
and the desire to make things better.

Black is the color of strong drive and purpose.
It represents formality and great dignity of self.

Purple represents the energy of the quest.
It is the color of self-confidence and ego,
the color of ambition.

Orange is a sun color and is full of energy.
It shows things that move fast
and that have great strength of purpose.
It is not a color of material wealth,
but rather a wealth of the mind and knowledge.
Orange represents the energy
that enjoys giving to others.

Brown is the color of the earth
and represents the practical side of things.
Success comes by steady work.
It does not show energy that soars,
but rather a secure and slower force.
Brown indicates things that work hard.
It is the color of endurance.

White is the strongest and most pure of all the colors.
It is felt to be the color of
perfection and pure light energy.
It represents good and fair judgement
and shows the path of the spirit.


This flowing white ribbon was tied to the tree in front of our home just after Erin passed away last December. If you've not been reading my blog, perhaps you'd appreciate more photos and the story detailing this beautiful gesture from the people in our neighborhood HERE.

While colored ribbons still represent the attributes listed above
with all the memories I hold dear,
they've now also become symbolic of
Remembrance, Honor, Death, Survival, Awareness,
Courage, Hope and Love


Gold ~ Childhood Cancer
Yellow ~ Sarcoma/Bone/Bladder Cancer
Pink ~ Breast Cancer
Teal ~ Ovarian Cancer
Clear ~ Lung Cancer
Purple ~ Pancreatic Cancer
Orange ~ Leukemia
Emerald Green ~ Liver Cancer
Periwinkle Blue ~ Esophageal & Stomach Cancer
Black ~ Melanoma
Dark Blue ~ Colon Cancer
Burgundy ~ Multiple Myeloma
Gray ~ Brain Cancer
Blue ~ Prostate Cancer
Teal/White ~ Cervical Cancer
Burgundy/Ivory ~ Head & Neck Cancer
Lime ~ Lymphoma
Peach ~ Uterine Cancer
Kelly Green ~ Kidney Cancer
Teal/Pink/Blue ~ Thyroid Cancer
Lavender ~ All Cancers


Please stop for a moment and think about how cancer has affected your life ~ through your own diagnosis or through a loved one's experience.

Kind of takes your breath away, doesn't it?

9 comments:

  1. Mary,
    What a great picture of those shoes! Sorry you do not have any Royal Blue ribbon on them. Well, not sorry at all, what a great match St Cletus and IC played that day. The "Barn" was the perfect location for that match!! Go IC!!!!

    I never heard the description of colors before but I think they are right on. I have always liked orange and yellow, I think that is a pretty good discription of myself. Ali has liked orange, brown and yellow for many years, also right on. Kelly my 21 yr old, has always been a blue. When I had control over Melissa's clothes, I always chose purple for her, also a perfect choice. And lastly Dale, the only color shirt he ever wants to wear is white and he is definitely a spiritual man. With that all said, I must say that I am breathless.

    Love,
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a wonderful trip down memory lane for you! All you did and still mean to those girls, wonderful!
    The color white, the ribbons on the trees, pulls it all together. Keep writing Mary! You always take my breath away and make me think. Even on a non-school day! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading through the colors again, I decided I am a mixture of brown, orange, and yellow. How weird that this is what Mrs. Deatsch said Ali is! How about you Mrs. Potts? I can see you fitting a lot of them!

    Love,
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm Kristin... I would say I'm a combination of red, blue and orange ~ because of my initiative, a high level of energy, finding inner strength I never knew I had and I sure care deeply about all my girls!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think those fit you really well, Mrs. Potts! I definitely was going to say red for leadership, etc. :)

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this great idea with us! The 5th/6th grade volleyball girls got their ribbons last night. They were so excited and proud to wear them(lime green one and red with white dots on the right foot). We talked about Erin, cancer and those less fortunate. We talked about how blessed we are that we have our health and the opportunity to play volleyball.

    The girls plan on saying a little prayer for Erin and all of those battling illnesses when they lace up their shoes.

    How lucky are we that we get to lace up our shoes, slide up our knee pads, and just play..........

    Sue

    I will forward pics of the girls along with the letter I sent home for their parents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mrs. Potts,

    I still remember winning the Hodgkin's Tournament like it was yesterday! What a great season we had! I know we were a chatty bunch, but you always knew how to get us back on track:) I still have the universal color sheet you gave us on my bedroom door at home. I think I am a combination of blue, yellow, and brown. Thanks for so many great memories!

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. Potts,

    I remember the ribbons and thought they were a great motivating factor to play well. Plus I think my team had a hard time losing as it was! And I must say that picture is very funny and I laughed out loud when I saw it. We had some wonderful seasons together and you were always my favorite coach. I remember Erin very well helping out and collecting balls for us. I also remember her being soo young and trying to bump, set and spike the ball. I think she had an impressive serve for such a youngster! I always knew she'd be an athlete. This post brings back some of my favorite memories of St. Cletus and playing volleyball. I think for me, I am a bit of a combination of yellow and blue. Thanks for being such a positive influence in my life and being here for my family. We love you very much!

    Katelynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs. Potts,

    I have been so busy lately and it seems as though I don't have much time to sit and reflect, however, Erin does pop into my thoughts quite a lot and I read your blog constantly.
    The color sheet you gave us is still hanging in my bedroom as well as the Hodkins Tournament picture. It is one of the only things I still have out from grade school and I don't intend to move it!
    I am teaching in Tolono, near Champaign. It was just last Friday that we had our Cancer Awareness day and the faculty was supposed to wear pink. Well I struggled finding something to wear, because I don't normally wear pink. While digging through my dresser in my apartment I ended up pulling out a red tie dye long sleeve t-shirt. The shirt Erin's volleyball team made when they were in eighth grade when I was helping coach. "We're in the battle zone!" I figured that would be a perfect outfit to wear because it had so much meaning and was definately assiciated with cancer!
    One of my fifth grade students just this summer was diagnosed with brian cancer and had a cancerous brain tumor removed and is now in remission. She has scars up and down her head, puffy from steriods, and is constantly depressed and extremely unhappy. I made it my goal since the beginning of school to make her experience at least in music fun and enjoyable and try to get her mind off of her troubles. It was finally a couple of weeks ago when I got her to crack her first smile and now most recently she is willing to confide her thoughts with me. Much of our time ends in tears, but we always try to stay positive and like Erin says, "Have fun!"
    With Love,
    Vicky Kensek

    ReplyDelete