When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Friday, July 22, 2011

A Little Trick!

After having to take a few months off due to my kidney donation surgery last April, I'm again able to donate blood.

Did you know your hemoglobin level can differ
by up to a whole point from one hand to the next?
It's pretty crazy, but true!



I recently learned this little trick. Thank goodness because I had to use it when I donated last Saturday. During the screening process, my hemoglobin level was 12.3 when tested from my right hand - 2 tenths of a point below the required 12.5g/dL.  I asked them to test from my left hand, and my level was a whole point higher - 13.3.


I think it's because my "e" is on my left wrist, and I always donate from that arm :)
Yeah - success!!
I ate a steak and green salad for dinner, just to make sure to replenish.
OK, I had chocolate ice cream for dessert too.
One can never be too careful!


Per the LIFESOURCE WEBSITE there is a CRITICAL NEED for blood donations. Click on the link to read more, and please consider making a little time in your busy schedules to offer a pint. It's so easy to do, and the donation centers are nice, air-conditioned environments in which to spend an hour during the current heat wave! I actually went to a drive at Divine Providence parish instead of Westmont this time, and I used 556C in memory of Erin.  It felt good.

~ interesting stats ~


I'm the most common, O+.
Remember, O- is the universal donor.
What type are you?
The generous type, for sure!

PS - see Mimi's helpful tip in comments.

Let me know if you donate and I'll post your name in the sidebar.  Perhaps others will be encouraged/reminded to do so if they see your name.  Spread the word. 
It's all about helping others, isn't it?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip! I am dontating Saturday moring at Westmont. You can also do the questionnaire on-line as of 12:01 a.m. the day of your donation. The address is www.lifesource.org/donorid.asp. (I am O-) :)

    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that tip Mimi. It's nice to get the paperwork done ahead of time, especially if you're on a tight schedule for the day.
    They love you, Miss O-.
    Me too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. "e" will always help you!!! The chocolate ice cream didn't hurt either!!!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stumbled here, I never did well with giving blood, then a tick gave me Lymes which took me out of the game for a while. It is a great thing that you donate. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Add me the list of donors!! With your nice reminder I went and donated on Friday!

    Martha

    ReplyDelete