When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

~ Kahlil Gibran, from"The Prophet"

Monday, January 10, 2011

The Disposition of the Day

After the holiday decorations are relegated to the back of the closet, my house assumes a different feel for a few months. In contrast to the colorful array more pronounced during the Christmas season, I prefer to be surrounded by natural tones during this time of year.  They seem to be more reflective of dormancy, feeding my prevailing inclination toward spending a good deal of time wearing flannel pants while wrapped in my favorite afghan, and lounging on the couch in front of a roaring fire ~ ahhh, hibernation.

I found this Helles Bild print at IKEA over the weekend,
framed it and put it on the mantel.

Its images are comfortingly familiar,
a focal point in tune with the rhythm of my emotions.
I'm drawn to its ability to provoke a divergence of thought pattern,
 a litmus test of the disposition of the day.



If I start from the bottom, I see ~

thick mud impeding the ability to step with ease, a retardant mire
looming obstacles barring the way, another potential dead end
no clear-cut path to follow, confusion, a crowd of conflicting thoughts
shadows, fear lurking in the unseen, hidden in the unknown
dampness, the overwhelming weight of saturation, drowning
dense fog, a shroud obscuring the view of what lies ahead
a bone-chilling ache of sadness
strong elements of isolation, abandonment, loss

oh, wait... there's light pushing through
some brightness, an emergence of rays
a beginning
it could be hope, penetrating a darkness that feels overpowering
but, that light is the afterthought

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Now, look from the contrasting perspective.


On this day, the thought process begins at the top, with ~

a flood of light pouring forth, its radiance evaporating the damp mist
powerful rays penetrating the shadows, with nothing truly hidden
a pull toward the light, a draw to the one true path, faith
incandescence, warmth targeting a tired heart and soul
solitude, reflection, time without distraction, back to beginnings
mighty conifers, pillars of strength standing tall, steadfast, proud, ever green
a resting forest - sleeping, drinking, waiting
ingredients of rejuvenation, growth, energy, potential, a resurgence

the prominence of hope through the darkness
light is the first thought
and, rebirth is imminent
be patient... wait

Same image ~ different day.

8 comments:

  1. When I looked at the picture, I notice the light pouring in, there will always be mud and yuck in our lives. There will always be light, too. My hope is that I choose light each and every day! Not always easy....xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping that you find your days have more light than muddy muck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that picture. And I like the message of 2 views, 2 approaches to life in general. It certainly does seem that our lives are constantly in the balance between the two views, doesn't it? We bounce back and forth between the two, between positives and negatives, shadows and light, good days and bad days, sadness and hope.

    I like the feeling that we have a choice in what perspective to take on life each day though. The idea that we can control those views and feelings is comforting. I pray like Margaret that we choose light every day. Some days this is more difficult than others, but each one does possess some glimmer of hope for us. We just have to remember to look up from the mud and fog, past the mighty trees and into the radiant light to find it.

    Love,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go, Ali! Pespective and balance can help.
    Didn't Erin teach us all what is most important? Love and light! Much love and light to you, Ali!
    xxoo
    P.S. With age comes all this wisdom, don't want to waste it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin continues to teach me things every single day.

    I was out walking last night, and found a snow angel in the middle of a big park - the first one I've seen since we made them together in our backyard four years ago, after a walk in the snow and before she had her leg surgery. I can close my eyes and still clearly see the imprint in our yard.

    It was strange that I walked right up to the one last night. I could have walked any other direction in the park. Then, Keenan dropped and rolled right next to it, like he does at Bronswood.

    Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No coincidence~just pure love, my friend!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank God our memories are like photo albums which we can see in our minds whenever a sight, sound, smell or thought triggers one. Sweet to recall that treasured moment of making snow angels!

    ReplyDelete